Wednesday 9 March 2011

Hatchling



Flicking through my sketchbook, I came across this page I doodled a few weeks ago.  Each of the birds is based on a google image, mixed in with a lot of artistic license.  Incidently, the little robin-esque bird on the bottom left is where the name of this blog came from (it's a happy looking egg I think.)

As always, I doodle these things full of intentions and promises, then semi-forget about them, or forget what they were for.  My attention span at times is just shocking!


But I brought this page out of hibernation to have a go at some embroidery.  It's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with my first attempt at satin stitch.  I don't think he's finished yet either - I want to change his eye and beef up his wing a little bit, and perhaps give him a border of some sort - but I am excited about where he's heading.

He's taught me a lot (3 strands of floss for the outline was perhaps too much, for example), and I think I still have plenty to learn from him.

Once he's fully finished and looks "right", I might offer up the pattern for free if anyone is interested in showing me how it's done ;)

I hope you're all having a happy first day of Lent :)

Kim

No comments: